Monday, March 25, 2013

Christians and Irreverent Silliness on Facebook

In studying through Romans I came across:
Rom 12:16  Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.
Well, I had to stop and admit, I have failed at this from time to time.
And I take it to heart that God is serious about this.
But at the risk of people thinking I am violating this verse I'm going to say something anyway.

I am so sick and tired of the silly little pictures - supposedly of Jesus - that ask questions on facebook like "Excuse me but will you take a moment and 'accept' me?"
First, HEY PEOPLE! That's not Jesus in the picture!

Exo 20:4  Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 
Deu 4:16  Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female....  This refers to images of God or a god whom you might worship. Now I don't believe that people are going to bow down in front of their computer when a 'likeness or similitude of what Jesus looks like pops up, but why do it? Why publish false images of God?

Thank you, I feel better.


Second, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN HIS MOUTH! (Sorry, I'll try not to shout, but I am a Baptist preacher.)
Deu 4:2  Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it...
This is one verse that demonstrates a principal in scripture that we are not to add to God's Words.
Third, please stop making Jesus sound apologetic and nervous and well, effeminate. When he was in the temple courts, he didn't say "Excuse me, please stop selling those doves for such an outrageous price and please stop ripping people off while exchanging their currency."
He didn't say to the rich young ruler, "Sir, if it's not too much trouble, you might want to think about giving some of your money to the poor and then come follow me. I mean if it's not too much trouble. If it is that's OK you can still be my follower. Unless of course you'd like to lead a while. What do you think guys?"

One thing that grieves me about all this is that there are many who are not true disciples of Jesus who click "Like" or say "Yes I accept Jesus" who are lost and going to hell and by their flippant response to Christ A) believe they are accepted by Him, and B) insult the Lord of glory by treating him like something to pin on pintrest.
Another thing that bothers me about this trend is that True Believers go along with this irreverent silliness with out stopping to think about the message they send, that following Jesus is some easy little thing you tack on to the rest of your life; Ignoring that Jesus Is Lord of All! King of Kings and the Sovereign master of the Universe. He is a jealous God, a demanding God, and a God who will not share his glory with another, not even His true children!

Look I know my sins are great. I know every time I choose my way over His it's a rebellion. When ever I prize my way over His its idolatry. And I am so thankful for His Grace and Mercy. And I am thankful that His goodness continually draws me to repentance.

We have such a gracious God. But He is also Worthy of all honor and glory and praise. Let's not belittle Him in the public square with irreverent casualness.

You know what I am for?  I am for snippets of scripture! I love pretty pictures! You can even combine these. I love examples of some one doing something Christ-like. I think its great to call people to True repentance and faith in the Christ of scripture (read evangelism). I like it when someone posts a scripture or an idea that challenges, comforts, edifies. So, keep up the good work in those areas and be not weary in well-doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me and others what you think. You can use the tools of rhetoric but please, be clean and nice.