Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Keith Green, Enough Said

It was 28 years ago today that the music died for me. Not just the music, but the most passionate Christian I knew of. Keith Green was only a Christian about 7 years. He wasn't a theological giant, but he probably learned a lot more than most believers do in 7 years. He wasn't an evangelist of the renown of Billy Graham, but hey, 7 YEARS! God used him incredibly in that time.
But 28 years ago today I was driving an 18 wheeler through the Crockett Forest in East Texas in the wee hours of the morning. I was listening to Larry King's all night radio show when there was a news interruption that a plane crash in northeast Texas had occurred and there were a number of people dead, including a missionary family and an evangelist.
There are many evangelists in east Texas, they're just about a dime or 15 cents a dozen. But in my gut I thought of Keith green. He's was generally described as a Christian Musician and Songwriter but I just had a bad feeling about that news report beyond what was said. Sure enough, within the hour the names of the dead were revealed and Keith Green and two of he and Melody Green's children perished with him; as well as a pilot and a missionary family.
I drove, and cried, and prayed. I prayed that at least a small portion of Keith's mantle would fall on me. I told the Lord I would try to live up to all the anointing He passed on to me, but I didn't feel worthy of the whole mantle of such a Passionate follower of Christ as Keith Green.
On July the 28th, 28 years ago, I was 28, and Keith was 29. I never met him but heard him sing on a couple of occasions and had several of his recordings. I was always amazed by his policy of sending a record to anyone who wrote and said they couldn't afford to buy one. Keith cared more about the gospel than his recording career. 
He wasn't very "reformed" in his theology (as am I) but he influenced people like John Piper and Jon Bloom. And he wrote things like, You Put This Love in my Heart, and Your Love Broke Through, and There is a Redeemer. Sound musically, evangelistically, and most importantly, sound theologically and expressing his passion for Jesus.
Keith, I love ya man. Thanks for all you did for me!
Someday in Heaven I'd like to sing Your Love Broke Through with you. OK?




Like a foolish dreamer, trying to build a highway to the sky
All my hopes would come tumbling down, and I never knew just why
Until today, when you pulled away the clouds that hung like curtains on my eyes
Well I've been blind all these wasted years and I though I was so wise
But then you took me by surprise

Like waking up from the longest dream, how real it seemed
Until your love broke through
I've been lost in a 
fantasy, that blinded me
Until your love broke through

All my life I've been searching for that crazy missing part
And with one touch, you just rolled away the stone that held my heart
And now I see that the answer was as easy, as just asking you in
And I am so sure I could never doubt your gentle touch again
It's like the power of the wind

Like waking up from the longest dream, how real it seemed
Until your love broke through
I've been lost in a 
fantasy, that blinded me
Until your love, until your love, broke through



Here's another tribute the Keith Green: 
http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/2569_keith_green/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+DGBlog+(DG+Blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me and others what you think. You can use the tools of rhetoric but please, be clean and nice.