Friday, August 26, 2011

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished


Ever heard this line? "No good deed goes unpunished." Ever felt this way? I have. Does that mean we stop doing the right thing? I hope not. Or else why would God gives us all these verses about suffering?
 
2Ti_3:12  ...all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

1Pe_2:20 what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But when you do good and suffer, and you endure, this is a gracious thing... 

1Pe_3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
1Pe_3:17 For it is better ... that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.
 
1Pe_4:16 if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Suffering is bad, I hate it. But I wish I didn't hate it so, I should learn to embrace it and identify with Christ even more. I don't mean I should go nail myself to a cross or crawl on my hands and knees to Nashville or anything like that. I just mean, in the course of doing the right thing and suffering for it, I ought to rejoice and  "glorify God on this behalf." 

I know and accept that not everybody likes me, or thinks I'm great, or funny, or even bright. That's OK. Disappointing but OK. I understand it. I'm an "Acquired taste." I'd like to say I'm an exquisite taste but "Acquired" is already stretching it.

But to be villified, wow! Who knew? What did I do to alienate and anger some people? I certainly didn't mean to, and it pains me to think I'm at fault here. But let's face it, if several people are mad at you whats the common denominator? You. Or in this case; me!

But until I know that I'm suffering for UN-righteousness, I'm going to force myself to rejoice and truly thank the Lord Jesus for suffering for me, and giving me even the smallest, tiniest, infinitesimal glimpse into suffering for righteousness sake.


Daniel did it, Mordecai did it, Paul and Silas did it and by the grace of God so can I.

1 comment:

Feel free to tell me and others what you think. You can use the tools of rhetoric but please, be clean and nice.