Saturday, January 28, 2012

Are we clear?


I used to not get it. When the preacher said we weren't supposed to only act saved on Sundays, I'd smile and say "yeah, thats right!" Then I would do what I'm not supposed to do.



When we *truly* surrender our lives to Christ, we are taking up His Cross and we're making it our cross. Jesus told us to take up our cross. Paul said he picked his up and implied every day.
I love that scene in A League Of Their Own, you know, the movie about the ladies baseball league back in the 40's. (Some of you may not have watched it because Madonna is in it.) Tom Hanks cries out. "Crying? There's no crying in baseball!" Sometimes, when I'm looking in the mirror of God's word I say to myself, "Laying your cross down? There is no laying your cross down. Jesus didn't lay His cross down. He never said, 'take it up and lay down, what-EVER.' No He said take it up and follow Me!"
OK, its true, I talk to myself more than is probably normal, but sometimes you just have to tell yourself what to do!

I usually don't like pictures of Jesus, something about the second commandment strikes me as important. But in this instance, it's not meant as an object of veneration, its just meant to make a point. And I think I'm OK with that. (He really ought to be darker and more middle-eastern looking.-But I digress.)
What I like is how you can plug so many things into the sentence where the word 'Twitter' is. Lets face it, most people are not on Twitter. So how about these possibilities:
No I'm not talking about just Sundays.
No I'm not talking about just Bible Study.
No I'm not talking about by email.
No I'm not talking about Facebook. (had to get that one in there)
No I'm not talking about following me 'in spirit'
No I'm not talking about when people are watching.
No I'm not talking about just to hang out.
No I'm not talking about when everything is going well.
No I'm not talking about _______________ . (You fill in the blank.)
Jesus made it very clear, "If ANYONE wants to come after Me, Let him take up his cross and follow Me."
Through the cross is the only way.
Oh but what a glorious way it is. Scary? Sure! He's asking you to come and die. But if you're seeking your life you'll lose it. You have to give it to Him to find it. 
Counterintuitive? You Betcha! 
True? You Betcha!
It's in losing our lives that we find it; Grace Abundant, Mercies Galore, God's riches in ridiculous amounts. 
When we seek pleasure we find death.(Rom 3:23) When we seek death in Christ, we find pleasures beyond belief.(Psa 11)
Jesus really meant "Follow Me."
I get it now!
We're clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to tell me and others what you think. You can use the tools of rhetoric but please, be clean and nice.