Saturday, February 19, 2011

If it Weren't For bad Luck, Wouldn't Have no Luck At All

Paul wrote:
2Co 11:23  Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. 24  Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 25  Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26  In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27  In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. 28  Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

Can I take a stab at this kind of writing?

In the last 4 weeks I've been to 3 funerals, spoke at two of them, I've been in ice storms, I've had gout that kept me from walking, a wife sick with the flu, I've been sick with what feels like pneumonia, my father-in-law sick as well. I've had friends in hospitals I couldn't get to visit, friends with medical procedures as well. I've had insomnia, indigestion, and suffered ignobility. I've been criticized, ostracized, and anglicized. And now I'm just starting to make stuff up!!!!

It doesn't compare to Paul's list does it? There is always somebody who has it worse than I do. Yet, where I live, and what I'm going through is still real to me. Reminds me of the old blues phrase: If it Weren't For bad Luck, Wouldn't Have no Luck At All.

But in the next chapter Paul lists incredible things that happened to him including a vision (or trip) to the heavenlies.

And after all that he says:
2Co 12:9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities (weaknesses), that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Boy, thats hard to do isn't it? I know it is for me. But when I am alone with God I can say, "Thy Will Oh God I long to do. If I am criticized, for doing right, help me love my critics. If I am doing wrong, show me the way. If my weakness keeps me from ministry, Lord go in my stead and send laborers to do your will Oh God. For I am naught but Thine Oh Lord."

I know we all have enough trouble to whine about. But I challenge you to find a way to glory-boast-be proud of....your weaknesses.
Because THEN are you strong with the power of the Lord. Hey, I don't understand it, but He promised!


Clark

1 comment:

  1. Good reminder. It is fatally easy to whine (especially in the winter, for some reason). I'm gonna work on glorying in my weakness instead.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to tell me and others what you think. You can use the tools of rhetoric but please, be clean and nice.